Thursday, July 7, 2011

From Dorothy Allison’s book, Two or Three Things I Know for Sure, Sent by Sherry



Two or three things I know for sure,
and one of them is what it means to have no loved version of your life but the one you make.

Two or three things I know for sure,
and one of them is the way you can both hate and love something you are not sure you understand.

Two or three things I know for sure,
and one of them is just this—if we cannot name our own we are cut off at the root, our hold on our lives as fragile as seed in a wind.

Two or three things I know for sure,
and one of them is that no one is as hard as my uncles pretend to be.

Two or three things I know for sure,
but none of them is why a man would rape a child, why a man would beat a child.

Two or three things I know for sure,
and one of them is that change when it comes cracks everything open.

Two or three things I know for sure,
and one of them is how long it takes to learn to love yourself, how long it took me, how much love I need now.

Two or three things I know for sure,
and one is that I would rather go naked than wear the coat the world has made for me.

Two or three things I know for sure,
and one of them is that to go on living I have to tell stories, stories are the one sure way I know to touch the heart and change the world.

Two or three things I know for sure,
and one of them is that if we are not beautiful to each other, we cannot know beauty in any form.

Two or three things I know for sure,
and one of them is that telling the story all the way through is an act of love.


No comments:

Post a Comment